Steps to Apply for Virginia’s Infant Mental Health Endorsement®
The Virginia Association for Infant Mental Health currently accepts Endorsement applications once per year. The deadline to apply is April 15th. Applicants will be notified of an acceptance decision by May 31st. Questions may be sent to Kristen Stahr, Infant and Early Childhood Mental Health Endorsement Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org.
*Note: Information on the Early Childhood Mental Health Endorsement® (ECMH-E®) will be forthcoming in 2023.
1) Obtain your supervisor's approval to pursue your IMH Endorsement.
2) Review the IMH Endorsement® Requirements Overview for a brief outline of requirements for each of the 5 levels of IMH Endorsement in order to determine which category most closely aligns with your education and scope of practice.
3) Review the Endorsement for Culturally Sensitive, Relationship-Focused Practice Promoting Infant Mental Health Competency Guidelines for a detailed outline of requirements for each category of Endorsement.
4) Update your resume so it is ready to upload with your application. (Note: This is optional, but very helpful, especially if you wish to use educational courses to meet any competency requirements.)
5) Join the Virginia Association for Infant Mental Health (VAIMH). The Endorsement requires that you are a member of your state's Association for Infant Mental Health and that you remain a member as part of the renewal requirements. To join VAIMH, please click here. (The membership year runs from January 1 through December 31.) VAIMH Membership Fee: $60.00
6) Submit your application in the online Endorsement Application System (EASy):
You will be asked to confirm that your VAIMH Membership is current and enter the expiration date before submitting your Application. Note: A $50 Endorsement Application Fee is required upon checkout so that your application can be reviewed for an acceptance decision.
Once submitted, your application will undergo an Application Review. During this time, you will not be able to access your application to make changes, so please be sure everything has been added before you submit. Applicants will be notified of an acceptance decision by May 31st.
7) Upon achieving Endorsement, you will receive an official Endorsement® certificate and can indicate your Endorsement using the IMH-E® mark to let employers, parents, health and legal practitioners, and insurance providers know that you have expertise related to the social and emotional development of infants and young children and their families. Your name and credential will then be added to the Virginia Infant Mental Health Endorsement Registry housed on the VAIMH website.